Sunil Lal – Executive Chairman
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- International Business
- Corporate and Commercial Advisory
- Investment Strategies
- Workplace Disputes
- Specialised Long-Term Claims
- Employer Liability
- Sunil commenced his professional career in the insurance industry working with a major insurance group, where he gained experience in all facets of insurance from underwriting through to claims management.
- He then moved into the law, building a successful 20-year plus legal career with a major national law firm, ultimately leading the firm’s national insurance practice. During this period, he developed a diversified insurance client base, including implementing a range of strategies and procedures which significantly reduced liability for both insurers and employers.
- Taking advantage of his Indian heritage, Sunil established a specialist Indian Business Advisory Unit within the firm in 1999, where he advised numerous companies venturing into the Indian sub-continent. In the past decade and more, he has assisted many joint ventures relating to outbound and inbound investment in India and other regional markets in such sectors as education, health, mining and insurance.
- In recognition of his expertise, Sunil was invited to give evidence to the Federal Government Parliamentary Committee on bilateral trade between Australia and India under parliamentary privilege. Sunil is a former Board member of the Australia India Business Council and the Australia India Chamber of Commerce.
- Over the course of his career, Sunil has advised numerous major insures and corporates including GIO, Allianz, CGU, Wesfarmers Group, Coca Cola, Origin Energy, Aristocrat Leisure, QANTAS and Estee Lauder.
- A regular presenter on doing business in India and intellectual property rights across various Asian markets, Sunil’s business acumen has enabled him to expand his knowledge and expertise into other Asian markets.
- Indeed, his presentations to SAARCLAW (South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation In Law) have been the subject of conferences and discussion papers in the wider region. He has also been a member of various government delegations to Asia, including invitations to speak on corporate governance in China.
- Sunil is now the Executive Chairman of the Kaden Boriss Legal Group and is one of two lawyers within the firm who has been instrumental in the Group’s steady international expansion.
- Member, Law Society of New South Wales
- Former Board Member Australia India Chamber of Commerce (AICC)
- Former Vice President of Australian Indian Business Council, NSW Chapter (AIBC)