Sumant Batra – Head – International Business Advisory
Areas of Practice
- Corporate law
- Commercial law
- Prior to joining Kaden Boriss, Sumant founded and helmed his own renowned New Delhi based corporate and commercial law firm as managing partner for 18 years.
- Sumant’s speciality lies in multiple areas, such as policy & regulatory advice, corporate insolvency & restructuring, foreign direct investment advisory, corporate and commercial transactions, debt recovery, private equity, real estate and corporate governance policy & compliances.
- In demand for his expertise, Sumant is senior consultant to the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank Group, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) as well as the Asian Development Bank for Asia.
- He has advised on high profile global and Indian insolvencies as well as formal and informal restructurings, including before BIFR, company courts, under CDR (India) and otherwise.
- As a fluent speaker, Sumant has shared his knowledge and perspective on law or economic related issues with over 100 international and national conferences, seminars and round tables.
- He regularly contributes to articles in prestigious publications such as the Economic Times, Global Turnaround and Company Secretary. Previously on the Editorial Board of INSOL International’s publication, INSOL World for 4 years, Sumant has also written articles on credit risk management or systems for the World Bank.
- Research papers produced by Sumant include Institutional & Regulatory Developments and Related Party Transactions in India, Corporate Governance of SOE in India, as well as the Role of Board in Corporate Governance of NLC – OECD.
- Immediate Past President, INSOL International (INSOL)
- Ghana Association of Restructuring and Insolvency Advisors
- Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs
- Managing Committee, ASSOCHAM – Association of Chambers of Commerce in India
- Regional Council, Indo-American Chamber of Commerce
- Government of India-United Kingdom Task Force on Corporate Affairs
- Middle East North Africa (MENA) Task Force on Corporate Governance of State Owned
- OECD Task Force on Related Party Transactions
- Chairman, National Council for Entrepreneurship Development, ASSOCHAM
- Legal Affairs Committee, Indo American Chamber of Commerce
- Co-chairman, Company Law & Corporate Affairs Committee, ASSOCHAM
- World Jurists Association
- Insolvency & Creditor Rights Committee, International Bar Association
- Co-chair, INSOL Membership Approval Committee
- Advisory Panel of Global Insolvency Website of American Bankruptcy Institute and INSOL
- Business Law & Insolvency Committee of LAWASIA.
- Bar Association of Delhi High Court and Debt Recovery Tribunal Bar Association.
- SAARC Law – the legal arm of South Asian Association of Regional Countries comprising India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Maldives